Sunday 1 March 2015

A 'retreat' poem

Back in the 1990s I went on a couple of Arvon courses at Moniack Mhor, near Beauly. (The name, incidentally, is from the French for 'beautiful place', possibly from its association with the old priory. The Gaelic name, which resonates with me, is A' Mhanachainn). Anyway, I found the courses very productive, and I learned a lot about writing poetry - bear in mind that my career until then had been mostly to do with librarianship and science. But they told me the cottage was also going to be used for writing retreats, under similar terms - DIY cooking, with supplied food, and BYO wine. I went on two of them, both with specific writing in mind. The first, in 1994, was the sequence which became the title sequence in my first collection - Thirteen Ways of Looking At the Highlands. The second, in the following year, was to write a long poem on Scottish botany, which resulted in the Poem card - The Flowers of Scotland - presented to the Botanical Society of Edinburgh as a celebration of their 160th birthday in 1996.

I know that when I arrived for the first week-long retreat I was struck by a catastrophic migraine attack. I had no option but to take to my bed for 36 hours. However, when I came out the other side I felt a burst of energy, and I completed the poem - 13 verses, a prologue and an epilogue - in the remaining time.

The second retreat was fine. I had no clear ideas about the poem beforehand, no structure, as I had for Thirteen Ways, and I was very relaxed. The writing went well, and I remember waking early on the Wednesday morning, opening the curtains in my room and looking out onto a sea of mist - something that happens often there. I watched as the mist burned off in the sun, revealing the stunning surroundings, and I wrote the following poem, later published in my second book, Seven Senses (Diehard). It has a freshness about it that I still like. See what you think.

Wednesday morning

Solid mist fills the valley,
opaquing all distances
from near to nearly.

Sharp-edged woods become
blotches of night
lingering on the fringes of day.

Dew prickles the face
with moist, cold explosions.

On some unseen signal
distinctness arrives, landscape-wide;
green blobs resolve to trees,
and deeper presences
announce their mountain-hood.

Long feathers of reluctant cloud
detach their bases from the heather
and manoeuvre for take-off.
Golden-green sun-spots appear,
pursuing the clouds’ tails.

The sky blues from gap-sites in the grey
until background becomes foreground
for this unpredicted day.

All this, for me? you ask.
All this, for this?



Copyright © Colin Will, 2015




No comments:

Post a Comment