Saturday 13 February 2016

The Valentine

Over the years I've written several Valentine poems for Jane, but not for some time. Now, with our 50th anniversary coming up in April (which we'll be celebrating privately, just the two of us, as in the beginning) I felt the urge to write a new one.



For Jane, 2016

It’s coming up to our 50th,
but of course our love began
before that. I’d be lying
if I said I can’t remember us
back then. I definitely can,
it’s just that memories get buried
with the weight of life on top.

Sometimes it needs a jog,
a jolt, an image, for me to begin
to unravel the years, the experiences,
especially in the early times.
But one thing I do recall
with absolute clarity.
At the start of us, a friend asked,
‘How long will it last?’ 
I said, ‘The rest of my life.’ 
That was, and still is, true.


Copyright © Colin Will 2016


No comments:

Post a Comment