Friday 26 April 2013

NaPoWriMo 26





I want to design a meal, that will move,
startled and satisfied, from one course
to the next. I won’t trouble
with an amuse-bouche,
that pretentious pre-meal trinket,
but go straight in to starter,
fish, main, palate cleanser,
cheese and sweet.

Let’s look for an active balance.
I like soups but they can be
heavy going. I’m less than keen
on frothy cappuccino concoctions
chased with a sheen of truffle oil.
Paté’s out, too risky for my gout.
I lean towards a tasty miso,
fragrant with coriander,
spring onions and clams.

A creamy sauce with the fish course
would be good. Sole Veronique’s nice,
or Bonne Femme, but I favour
the simple, flaky goodness
of cod in parsley sauce.

The main is simpler – you see
where I’m going with this?
A venison steak, flame-grilled,
fondant potatoes, baby turnips,
sprouting broccoli, red wine jus.

Ah yes, the wines.
With the fish, a steely Riesling,
and a big Rhône with the meat,
a Vin Santo with the sweet. Perfect.

A slice each of mango and pineapple,
with minty sugar, follow that.

The cheeses? Stilton – I can’t see past it -
St Nectaire, Camembert.

Et pour le dessert, je propose
a simple Crème Caramel.

Then coffee and cognac
will take you to Heaven.

Colin Will
26/04/2013


No comments:

Post a Comment